Monday 11 January 2010

THE D-DAY


The bike is in the box, the other box has two wheels


Dear friends,


Firstly I want to wish you happiness, success and good health for 2010.

Secondly, I would like to thank you all for your numerous messages and letters of support for the Tour D’Afrique bike race. A special thanks to all of you who have donated bikes. I have collected money for 93 bikes! Yes 93 and still a few bike coming in, so I might reach a 100…. That is huge and it will have an enormous impact to the communities we are going to help. I remind you that 1 bike can help increasing medicine deliveries to remote areas by 10 folds… So if some of you still wish to join, it is still possible up to next Saturday, just e-mail me and I will give you the instructions.

I am going to depart from home (Andorra) on Monday morning and will be in Cairo Monday night. The depart for this 12 000 km race across 10 countries is Saturday 16 in front of the pyramids. Over the next 4 months, I will be sharing this incredible adventure through my blog. I have a lot of technology with me and should be able to post images and text on almost daily bases. I invite you to subscribe to the blog via email. It is a feature I have added last week. You will receive all new postings automatically delivered to your e-mail. Those of you who subscribed to the blog via the google follower service have to do it to as the google follower does not send anything. (It is a bit stupid, so please send your complains to Google…)
I also realize that there will be good days and tough days, so please feel free to put some words of support and also questions and comments on the blog. For reacting to the postings, you have to do it on the blog, you cannot do it on the posting received via email, so add the blog in your favorites.

The blog;
http://africanride.blogspot.com/

I have a camera fitted to my bike and should be bringing back some interesting footage which I will happily share with all of you after the trip. I also have a compact Leica camera for still photos which I will be caring while riding and hope to bring back some amazing shots.
During the 120 days of the race, you can also get hold of me via phone or text messages on the following number: +27 83 680 9494
Cell phone coverage in Africa is very good and I will therefore be reachable via this tel number most of the time. Don’t hesitate to send comments and words of support to this cell number.
See you in Africa!
Gerald

No comments: